I have almost hit my 3 month mark!! Today I received a new companion named Elder Franson from Idaho (about an hour away from Pocatello). He is also 6´5" so president really must be wanting to keep the big boys in Carabranchel! haha. He is a super a nice guy and he is my same age. He came out on his mission right after high school got out so he has about a year already in the books. Today I made us some banana-walnut-chocolate-chip bread to welcome him into our piso! It was definitely a long two days leading up to Elder Laubaugh leaving to the Canary Islands though! Elder Laubaugh is now officially the zone leader over all the Canary Islands! He only was able to bring one bag though so it was some late nights of gathering up all his stuff and packing up. We were up till 2 in the morning last night and had to wake up at 5 to get him to the airport and for me to meet my new companion.
It has been a tiring two days but I have been alright and I have been preparing to area train Elder Franson. I have set up a full week of lessons and we were very successful at getting people out to church yesterday. Everyone was super sad that Elder Laubaugh was leaving and many of the families that we have been teaching for a few months even cried. He is a super good Elder and has done a fantastic job at building strong relationships with the people. I have made plans to bake with a few families and teach them how to make my banana bread. I want people to miss me as much as they missed my trainer when it comes time for me to move.
Anyways, I think I know my area and all the metro and bus stops well enough to get us around in our city. Both Elder Franson and I want to go to se Segovia sometime this transfer to see the old Roman Aquaduct, castle, and cathedral so we may be going in a few weeks to check that out. I am excited and both nervous to be taking on more responsibilities with this area. I don´t know if I trust myself to take care of this portion of the Lord´s vineyard but since I have been given the responsibility to do so I guess that the Lord thinks I can do it. Elder Laubaugh spent over the course of mission 10 months in this area and now it is mine so I am excited to see what I am able to do now that it is getting passed down into my hands.
Anyways, I think I know my area and all the metro and bus stops well enough to get us around in our city. Both Elder Franson and I want to go to se Segovia sometime this transfer to see the old Roman Aquaduct, castle, and cathedral so we may be going in a few weeks to check that out. I am excited and both nervous to be taking on more responsibilities with this area. I don´t know if I trust myself to take care of this portion of the Lord´s vineyard but since I have been given the responsibility to do so I guess that the Lord thinks I can do it. Elder Laubaugh spent over the course of mission 10 months in this area and now it is mine so I am excited to see what I am able to do now that it is getting passed down into my hands.
I have learned a ton this past week with having to take the lead and plan out this next week on my own and it has been a great growing experience for me. It really has been an awesome opportunity on my mission to live on my own, feed myself, clean our piso, take care of myself, plan out my days, and get out into the streets and homes to teach in another language. I have feel like a month in a mission is a year of life experience back home. I love seeing all these blessings come into the lives of others but at the sametime I have grown so much and have received so many blessings myself. I truly am so grateful for the opportunity I am getting to serve the people of Spain and help people come closer to Christ.
I miss everyone a ton! Thank you for all your support! I love you all and my address will be the same for at least another 6 weeks! C/ Julia Nebot 8, 1D 28025 Madrid Spain. (degrees sign between 1D) :)
Love,
Elder Saltzman